Invisalign has been a breakthrough in orthodontics because it offers a better way for some patients to achieve straight teeth than traditional braces. Instead of using metal brackets and wires on the teeth, Invisalign therapy involves the use of clear, removable, plastic aligners to align the teeth. Now, orthodontic patients have an option when it comes to teeth straightening and no longer need to bear the inconveniences associated with traditional orthodontics. Straight teeth can be achieved without sacrificing the aesthetics of your smile; thus, making Invisalign the preferred choice of many patients around the world.
However, before you get excited about getting Invisalign therapy, it is important to know what you’re getting yourself into. You must know what is required of you, especially since the therapy involves a great deal of patient involvement and responsibility. Here are important facts to consider before undergoing Invisalign treatment.
- Invisalign consists of a set of removable aligners. This means that you will be wearing each aligner on your own and be responsible in taking care of each aligner. The aligners must be worn in sequence as this is necessary for the treatment to work. Typically, an aligner is worn for 2 weeks before you proceed to the next aligner in the series. While the dentist will give you a treatment plan to follow, you are basically on your own in ensuring that the aligners are worn as instructed. This level of discipline is what you should consider before taking Invisalign therapy.
- Invisalign must be removed before eating, brushing and flossing. This is to avoid food particles getting stuck between the aligner and your teeth, and to prevent staining your clear aligner. You will also be able to brush and floss your teeth as usual when the aligner is removed.
- You are responsible to keep your aligners safe and clean. You are advised to wash and clean your aligner at the same time that you’re brushing the teeth. This ensures proper oral hygiene during treatment. Your dentist will advise you on the appropriate way to clean your aligners.
- Invisalign therapy requires you to wear your aligner at all times every day, except of course when you’re eating, brushing and flossing. Not wearing your aligners as instructed, or forgetting to wear your aligner, can affect the entire treatment plan; thus, lengthening your treatment.
- If you lose an aligner, Invisalign will provide you with a replacement for an additional fee. It is, therefore, very important to take care of your aligners, so you won’t end up losing one and incurring additional cost.
Talk with Us about Invisalign Therapy
Find out more about Invisalign therapy by giving us a visit. Set an appointment with Dr. Max Breazeal, so he can explain with you further what Invisalign therapy involves. This orthodontic treatment has its share of benefits, which far outweigh traditional orthodontics. However, the therapy involves a degree of independence and commitment on the part of the patient. We will be happy to discuss this invisible orthodontic treatment with you. Call us today at (901) 861-0031!