Porcelain veneers are a great way to create long-lasting, beautiful smiles. They can correct chips, cracks and discoloration by masking these flaws with tooth-colored porcelain shells that appear very much like real teeth. Porcelain veneers can also be used to shorten or elongate a tooth, close a gap and address tooth misalignment. Because of their versatility, porcelain veneers have become a much sought-after treatment by many people worldwide. But how long do porcelain veneers last? Leading Collierville dentist, Dr. Max Breazeal, talks about porcelain veneers, their typical lifespan, and insights on how to care for them.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers can be characterized as tooth-colored, ultra thin shells, designed to replicate the size, shape and color of natural teeth. Veneers are placed on a tooth’s visible side to address a variety of tooth flaws. A veneer is attached to the tooth through the bonding process. First, the dentist removes a small portion of tooth enamel, then takes the patient’s dental impression. This impression will be used to create the custom-fitted veneers. Once the veneers are done, the dentist applies bonding cement on the prepared tooth and then bonds the veneer into place. Porcelain veneers transform smiles and make dreams come true.
How Long do Porcelain Veneers Last?
The typical lifespan of a veneer ranges from 10 to 15 years. However a veneer can last for over 20 years when the patient practices good oral hygiene habits and takes the necessary preventive care treatments. While veneers are considered to be impenetrable to decay, the underlying tooth structure remains prone to bacteria. It is, therefore, of utmost importance to care for veneers the way you care for real teeth. Keep your mouth at its healthiest state and your veneers can truly last for many years.
Maintenance Steps for Porcelain Veneers
- Brush your teeth regularly. This means brushing after meals or at least 3 times a day. Never go to sleep without brushing your teeth.
- Brush your teeth the right way. Brushing should take at least 2 minutes to complete. That is, 30 seconds for each of the 4 quadrants of the mouth. Use a combination of circular, upward, sideward brushing techniques to clean your teeth effectively. Angle the toothbrush in a way that it always faces your teeth and not the gums.
- Floss at least once a day. Food particles tend to get stuck between teeth, which brushing alone may not be able to handle this. Flossing, therefore, greatly helps remove plaque on areas where brushing cannot address.
- Take advantage of dental preventive care. This includes taking regular deep cleanings, getting sealant applications, and wearing a mouthguard. Prevention is key to a healthy mouth.
- Avoid bad habits like smoking and using your teeth as a manipulative tool.
- Visit your dentist regularly. A dental visit should be done every 6 months, so the doctor can monitor your dental restorations, and perform dental preventive care. He will also check for signs of dental problems. Studies have shown that porcelain veneers last longer when the patient visits his dentist regularly.
Visit us, at the MaxDental Center
We are a team of dental professionals who can provide you with quality porcelain veneers in Collierville, TN. One reason why veneers fail is when they are not placed well by the doctor. We therefore have the expertise and experience necessary to provide you with well-placed, long-lasting porcelain veneers. Call to schedule your consultation at (901) 861-003. You’ll be glad you did!